Members Projects
Boulders Caves Outcrops Springs Trees Cultural historical stones Waterfalls Others
Monuments ›  Outcrops ›  Outcrops in the western part of Vidzeme ›  Ermana cliffs

Ermana cliffs

Picture by M. Zeltins

Coordinates: N 57°15'02,9" E 24°58'20,9"

Location: Cesis district, Straupe municipality, right bank of Gauja upstreams from Brasla River mouth, 700 m SW from Ermani;

Description: Outstanding nearly white and yellowish sandstone cliffs. Look at their best in late afternoon, when the Sun shines over the cliff. The largest monolithic cliff is some 250 m long, but smaller outcrops are seen over 1 km distance. The height of the central part - up to 20 m.
Paleonthologist E. Ulprecht found the remains of unknown animals here in 1830. In 1839 it was stated that those remnants belong to ancient fishes - placoderm fish. Placoderm Asterolepis ornata was identified here in 1840. Those fishes were up to 6 m long.
There have been discovered several more new species of extinct organisms around those cliffs.
Ermana cliff is collapsing and overgrowing with bush.



Picture by M. Zeltins

Picture by M. Zeltins

© 2005   Latvian Nature Heritage Fund   Editor - Ansis Opmanis    Design and code - Gatis Pavils